Friends of the Farm – a community group
Add your event hereEvents
- This event has passed.
Māngere Bridge Community Orchard Working Bees 2023
August 19 @ 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Come along and celebrate as we visit our Orchard and growing Food Forest right next door and give the bigger trees some TLC.
Tucked away in a quiet corner of Ambury Farm off Wallace Rd, the orchard has been home to a grove of feijoa trees for many years and continues to be cared for and extended by community volunteers to include a wide range of other fruit trees for all to enjoy.
Work often includes the following;
- Collecting sheep poo from sheep yards at farm, filling bags and bringing to orchard
- Filling planter boxes with soil and sheep poo so we can plant peach stones at the right time.
- Mulching and spreading sheep poo around fruit trees
- Clearing kikuyu and weeds – around fruit trees and also around circular bed on food forest side
- Harvesting feijoas and other yummy stuff
- Tidying/thinning harakeke
Dates for 2023 as follows;
- Sat 11 Mar 2-4pm – grafting workshop with Richard Fullerton
- Sat 15 Apr 2-4pm – orchard working bee
- Sat 10 Jun 2-4pm – orchard working bee
- Sat 19 Aug 2-4pm – orchard working bee
- Sat 21 Oct 2-4pm – orchard working bee
- Sat 2 Dec 2-4pm – orchard working bee and end of year celebration
Friends of the Farm run regular working bees at the orchard, helping you connect with this wonderful resource.
Wear sturdy footwear and gloves are a good idea.
Hope to see you all there.